May I have a non-Shorewood teacher write a letter?
Yes, if you are willing to do a bit of extra work.
If that teacher is a Shoreline School District teacher, ask Mrs. Stephens to add (or keep) that teacher as a Naviance user. It would be helpful for you to let her know when the letters are completed so that she can deactivate the teacher once your applications are finished. Teacher users will receive all of Mrs. Stephens' emails, which they will not need if they teach at a different school.
If your teacher is retired, teaches out of district, or is one of your professors for a Running Start class, you will have to do some legwork. You have two options:
- Use the Recommenders function in the Common App. (This assumes you are using the Common Application!) The Recommenders function is under each school's supplement under My Colleges. You CANNOT request Shorewood, Shorecrest, Einstein, Kellogg or any Shoreline teachers using the Common App tool, only non-Shoreline people.
- Ask each college how to submit other materials. You should not email a letter yourself or ask your professor/ recommender to figure it out. You must figure it out and then communicate with your recommender.
- Ask the professor/ recommender well in advance if they will write you a letter.
- Search the college website to see if there is a prescribed method for submitting other materials.
- If you cannot find instructions, email or call the admissions office to get an upload link or an email address.
- Provide clear instructions to your professor/ recommender.
- Follow up with your professor/ recommender as your deadline approaches.
- Detail somewhere in your application, probably in the extra information section, that admissions should look for the letter from Professor ________(their name) and how it will be coming to them.
- Thank your recommender!