- Shorewood High
- College Applications
College and Career Center
- College & Career Main
- Area & Virtual Events
- Camps, Internships, and Opportunities
- College Applications
- College Athletics
- College Fit
- College: International
- Community Service Events
- Financial Aid
- Gap Year
- High School & Beyond Plan/ Senior Project
- Multicultural Opportunities
- Recommended Resources
- School Profile
- Special Events
- Transition After High School
- Video Library
- Volunteers: Information for Nonprofits
- What to Do When
- Options Other Than College
Letter Writer isn't a Shorewood Teacher? Read this.
Please read carefully...
First, be sure that your desired letter writer 'qualifies' according to your colleges' guidelines. Some colleges want only teachers from core academic subjects.
If the teacher is a Shorecrest teacher, the steps will be largely the same as those outlined on this page, BUT you will have to notify Mrs. Stephens so that she can temporarily add the Shorecrest teacher to the Shorewood roster.
If you are using the Common Application and the letter writer does NOT have a Shoreline Schools email address, you have two options:
- Use the Recommenders function in the Common App. It is under each school's supplement under My Colleges. You CANNOT request Shorewood, Shorecrest, Einstein, Kellogg or any Shoreline teachers using the Common App tool, only non-Shoreline people.
- If you use this function, you will probably have to select Arts Teacher or Coach under the options because the Common App knows we are a Naviance school and doesn't think you will be requesting academic letters through the Common App. However, go ahead and select whatever role you can for a professor in the Recommenders tool and then in the Additional Information section, detail who your letter is coming from and where & what they teach.
- Ask each college how to submit other materials. You should not email a letter yourself or ask your professor/ recommender to figure it out.
- Ask the professor/ recommender well in advance if they will write you a letter.
- Search the college website to see if there is a prescribed method for submitting other materials.
- If you cannot find instructions, email or call the admissions office to get a link or an email address.
- Provide clear instructions to your professor/ recommender.
- Follow up with your professor/ recommender as your deadline approaches.
- Detail somewhere in your application, probably in the extra information section, that admissions should look for the letter from Professor ________(their name) and how it will be coming to them.
- Thank your recommender!