- Shorewood High
- College & Career Main
College and Career Center
- College & Career Main
- Area & Virtual Events
- Camps, Internships, and Opportunities
- Careers in WA State
- College Applications
- College Athletics
- College Fit
- College: International
- Community Service Events
- Financial Aid & Paying for College
- Gap Year
- High School & Beyond Plan
- Multicultural Opportunities
- Recommended Resources
- School Profile
- Special Events
- Transition After High School
- Video Library
- Volunteers: Information for Nonprofits
- What to Do When
- Options Other Than College
Senior Families: Complete FAFSA or WASFA, and then...
College Financial Aid
- Both the FAFSA and the WASFA financial aid applications opened October 1, 2021. We recommend that senior families with students who will start college in the fall of 2022 fill out the form between October 1 and mid-December.
- Families with a student who anticipates starting college in 2022 should fill out the 2022-2023 FAFSA or WASFA.
- For the full list of Financial Aid Steps, make a copy of Steps for College Financial Aid which you can customize. The following covers only preparation for the FAFSA or WASFA, not completion of the forms themselves or follow up steps.
Prepare for Financial Aid
As you proceed, you may wish to record details on your College Application Tracker
- Figure out if you will fill out the FAFSA or WASFA
- Figure out your FAFSA Parent
- FAFSA filers: learn about Creating a Federal Student Aid Account for the student on studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch
- The FAFSA parent will also need to Create an FSA ID at the same site unless the parent has an older student who went to college in the last five years. Parents must use the same FSA ID for all of their children.
- Research FAFSA/ WASFA Priority Dates of the colleges in your list. Record the dates on your College Application Tracker so you don't forget.
- Forecast your costs at each college by using tools on the College Fit page. (optional but strongly encouraged!)
- Gather documents listed here, including 2020 tax forms and W-2s
- Research any additional financial aid requirements of colleges in your list; some colleges require the CSS Profile in addition to the FAFSA
- Refine your college list so that you can list them on your FAFSA/ WASFA. If you decide to add more schools later, you can log back in to your FAFSA and list the additional colleges.
After the FAFSA or WASFA
Please continue to refer to the Steps for College Financial Aid checklist which carries you through the process. Also see these additional resources:
- Six Things to do After Filing the FAFSA
- Las 6 cosas que debe hacer tras aplicar a la Solicitud Gratuita de Ayuda Federal para Estudiantes (FAFSA)
- Understanding Financial Aid Award Letters
- Entendimiento de las Ofertas de Ayuda Financiera
Resources/ Sites for Financial Aid Process
- Financial Info & Resources Folder 2021-2022 which contains many of the following documents
- Steps for College Financial Aid customizable checklist for the entire financial aid process
- Determine FAFSA or WASFA Chart
- Determine FAFSA Parent
- Create Federal Aid Account/ FSA ID Guide & Worksheet
- Gather FAFSA/ WASFA Documents
- Complete 2022-2023 FAFSA step by step guide
- Fill out FAFSA fafsa.ed.gov
- Fill out WASFA wsac.wa.gov/wasfa
- More Links & Resources www.shorelineschools.org/Page/2196