Syre Scratchings for June
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- June 1- State Testing for 4th and 6th Grades
- June 1 - Special Needs PTSA Ice Cream Social celebrating our Mr. Mike Rhyne
- June 2 - 6th Gr. Field Trip to Pacific Science Center
- June 2 - Syre SLP Donna McCann’s Retirement Party 6pm at Shoreline Center
- June 6 - Musical Showcase Assembly featuring First Gr. 2:45 pm
- June 6 - 1st Gr. Open House at 6pm with Musical Showcase performance at 7pm
- June 7 - Variety Show Dress Rehearsal 3:40 pm
**NOTE DATE CHANGE**
- June 8 - Pioneer Farms visiting 4th Gr. 9:30-3:30
- June 8 - Pioneer Farms “Family Walk-About” 6-7:00 pm
- June 9 - Variety Show 1:15 pm **Note the Earlier Start**
- June 9 - All books due back to the Syre Library
- June 12 - School in Session! Make-up Day for Snow Cancellation
- June 14 - Immigration Forum at Brookside Elem. 7:00-8:30pm
- June 15 - Orientation for Incoming Kindergarteners 8:30 - 12:00
- June 15 - Patrol Field Trip to Wild Waves 9:30 am
- June 15 - Rms. 7, 12 & 13 to Pacific Science Center 9:15 am
- June 15 - BLS End of Year Potluck 6pm
- June 15 - Rm. 16 and 19 Field Trip to Yost Park
- June 16 - Field Day and All School BBQ
- June 16 - Heide Lang’s Retirement Party 3:45pm
- June 20 - Kindergarten to Woodland Park Zoo 9:30 am
- June 20 - 4th gr. To Hickman Park & Klahaya 11:30am
- June 21 - End of Year All School Assembly 9:30 am
- June 21 - Sixth Gr. Party at Innis Arden 10 am - 2pm
- June 21 - 5th gr. To Hickman Park & Klahaya 12:30
- June 21 - 2nd gr. Pizza Party 2:15pm
- June 22 - Yearbook signing 9:45am
- June 22 - 3rd Gr. to Hickman Park & Klahaya 10;30
- June 23 - 6th Grade Movin’ On Assembly 9:30 - 11:00am
- June 23 - Last Day of School 11:45 am Dismissal
- June 23 - Report Cards Sent Home with Students
***Reminder: Snow Make Up Day***
There is a snow make up day that is NOT listed on your Shoreline School District wall calendar.
Please note: June 12th is now regular school day and students will be expected to attend class.
If your child will not attend school due to previous plans, please call the attendance office at 206.393.4165 or email the attendance office at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the reason for the absence. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation in this matter.
ALL LIBRARY BOOKS ARE DUE BACK JUNE 9
Please help your child locate their books. We need student books returned so we can have a successful inventory. If you cannot find a book or are unsure what books are out, the library staff would love to work with you. Please feel free to call the library office at 206-393-4161.
ATTENTION: Student in grades 4-6 will need to account for their books in order to attend Field Day on June 16th.
SYRE FIELD DAY-Volunteer Opportunity
Field Day is Friday, June 16. The KG-2nd Grade Field Day is 9:15-11:00 a.m. and the 3rd-6th Grade Field Day is 1:15-3:15 p.m. The All School Lunch Barbeque will take place between the Field Days, come and join the fun. Two Parent Volunteers are needed from each classroom to help with the Field Day stations. If you are interested in volunteering to help at one of the stations please email Mr. Broderhausen which Field Day session(s) (K-2/3-6/both) you would like to volunteer for and your child’s classroom.
ALL SCHOOL BBQ
Come one come all for the annual Syre BBQ. on June 16th!! Families and friends are invited to join our students for a BBQ lunch. Students will eat at (about) their usual lunch time:
Kindergarteners: 11:05 to 11:40
5th, 6th graders: 11:25 to 11:40
1st, 4th graders: 11:50 - 12:05
2nd, 3rd graders: 12:30 - 12:55
The menu for the BBQ will be:
Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, Hot Dogs, Sausages. There will also be Coleslaw, Baked Beans and Apple Slices with a Caramel Dipping Sauce.
The price for the BBQ is $3.00 for Students $4.00 for Parents and Non-Students.
We cannot put on the BBQ without the help of Volunteers. Your help is much appreciated. A sign-up sheet to volunteer will be in the office.
FREE SUMMER LUNCH FOR KIDS AND TEENS
July 10th – August 14th
Any child age 19 or under can join us for free lunch at these locations. No registration is required:
- Meridian Park Elementary School 17077 Meridian Ave. N.
Shoreline, WA 98133
- Shorecrest High School 15343 25th Ave NE Shoreline, WA 98155 11:30-12:00pm
For information, contact the Food and Nutrition Services Office at 2069393-4209. Menus will be posted at www.ShorelineSchools.org/menues
BACK TO SCHOOL EVENT REGISTRATION HAS BEGUN!
The annual Back to School Event is scheduled for August 26, 2017 at Ridgecrest Elementary School. The Back to School event is a community effort that provides school supplies, haircuts, and clothing assistance for families in the Shoreline School District who are living with a low income and/or experiencing circumstances in their life that make it challenging to prepare their children for going back to school.
You can register online, by mail, call or with the School Nurse or Family Advocate.
- Online at www.btsconsortium.org
- Mail in Registration Form
- Call 206.393.4916 BTS Information Line – leave a message and someone will re- turn your call to register you.
- Or contact Syre Family Advocate Kristina Weidert at email@example.com.
BIRTHDAY BOOK CLUB
Many thanks to the following students for generously donating books to the Syre Library in honor of their birthday:
Julia Stevens “Ada Twist, Scientist” and “Rosie Revere, Engineer” Room 5
Paulina Hoff “Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln?” Room 16
Evie Hoff “Ghosts” Room 24
Huey Hoff “Theodore Boone, The Activist” Room 14
Kylan Minzel “Hotel Bruce” Room 1
Reid Edens “Noodlehead Nightmares” Room 3
Noah Lohman “Snail & Worm” Room 2
Shayla Tamman “The Star Darlings” series Room 12
We would also like to thank the following students for donating books.
Isabella Valenzuela “Superfudge” Room 19
Heidi Alexander, Librarian
SPORTS PHYSICALS FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR
As students enter into 7th and 9th grades in the Shoreline School District, sports physicals (officially known as “Secondary Student Health Report”) are required to be able to try out and play in a sport after school. The entire sports packet includes forms for Code of Conduct, Physical Examination, Concussion Information, Athlete Information, Permission, and Insurance (please make sure to complete the ENTIRE page), Middle School Athletic Training, Form packets can be picked up at anytime in the Einstein Middle School office. These forms can also be downloaded from the Einstein web page under Athletics, Athletics Information, and registration information. It is recommended that a doctor appointment be scheduled sometime after June 1ST of the current year. The sports physical is good for 24 months based on the date of the actual physical exam by the health care practitioner. Bring the Sports Physical Form with you to the doctor’s appointment. The left side of the form is completed by the parent/guardian and the right side is completed by your health care provider. Fall sports usually start the first week of school so it is imperative that these forms be turned in that week if your student wishes to participate. If you have questions, please call Einstein Nurse, 206.393.4734.
Parents please remember to pickup your child’s medications in the health office before the end of the school year as the school office will not be open all summer.
We cannot give medications to students to bring home – we can only release these to an adult regardless of the medication.
IMMIGRATION INFORMATION FORUM
There will be an Immigration Information Forum at Brookside on 6/14, 7:00-8:30 in the Music Room.
The City of Lake Forest Park is pleased to hold a second information event on current immigration rules and their impacts. The first session was held in Spanish at LFP Elementary. Brookside is glad to host the City engaging constituents about this topic.
ROOTS OF EMPAHTY: BABIES NEEDED!
If you, or someone you know will have a 2-4 month old baby in October we’d love for the baby to join one of our Roots of Empathy Classrooms! Please contact Kristina Weidert for more information at
206-393-1687 or Kristina.Weidert@shorelineschools.org