- Syre Elementary
Syre Principal Update
Hello Wonderful Parents & Guardians,
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL. My hope is that each of you get some time to spend with family and loved ones over the next several days. Below you will find information on:
-Wrapping paper/gift fundraiser collection
-Driving and parking around Syre
-Emergency Procedures, Safe Location
-Procedures for weather related cancellations or delays
-Holiday support for Syre families
-Brown Bear car wash tickets
-A request for dismissal feedback
Michelle Carroll, Principal
WRAPPING PAPER/GIFT FUNDRAISER COLLECTION-
Many, many thanks for the purchases! Your generosity brought in approximately $5,100 to help with 5th and 6thgrade camp/outdoor education experience.
Items purchased will be distributed in the Syre LOBBY on-
Thurs 12/5 from 3:30-5pm & Friday 12/6 from 3:30-5pm
DRIVING & PARKING AROUND SYRE
Safety Alerts- ACTION REQUIRED BY ALL
1. We recently had the Fire Inspector visit Syre and while our building receiving a glowing report safety inside the building, there was one area we MUST take immediate action on. THERE IS TO BE NO PARKING IN THE FRONT BUS LOOP as it is one of two designated FIRE LANES. Our school has been officially warned that any car parked in the bus lane may be ticketed and that parking enforcement for this area has been notified. We know this is a convenient area to park but for the safety of our students we need to avoid parking in the bus loop area at all times. Parking on the street or south parking lot are the two places for you to park.
2. As of Monday, we will have cones out behind our school on 195th St and 14th Ave NW as a means of adding extra safety for our students walking to school there. Unfortunately, there are NO sidewalks and the road is very narrow. Parents dropping their students off on this road should be prepared to stop and park at these cross streets and not drive all the way up to the back parking lot where there is a trail that leads to the school.
3. Last, but not least, PLEASE SLOW DOWN AND REFRAIN FROM USING YOUR CELLPHONE WHILE DRIVING near our school.
OUR CHILDREN ARE PRECIOUS AND THEIR SAFETY IS CRITICAL.
EMERGENCY PROCEDURES, SAFE LOCATION
Q. What is a Safe Location and when would we need one?
A. A Safe Location is needed when a critical incident occurs at SYRE and it becomes "unsafe" for students and staff.
Essentially, it answers the following questions:
- Where do we direct students and staff to run to?
- Where do we assemble?
- Where can our Shoreline School Buses pick students up and transport them to our Parent-Student Reunification Site?
Essentially, a Safe Location can be either:
- A "during-incident" Safe Location to run to (as in immediately run to the Safe Location, e.g. ABC Church or XYZ Park, etc).
OR, once Police arrive and set up their perimeter:
- An "after-incident" rallying location to gather students for student care (in instances where they fled in all directions, and now it's become safe to assemble together).
Syre’s Safe Location is Richmond Beach Congregational Church
1512 NW 195th St, Shoreline, WA 98177
WEATHER RELATED DELAYS OR CLOSURE
With reports of winter weather coming soon, we wanted to remind families about our procedures for school delays or cancellations and how to find out if there is a delay or cancellation.
In the event of a school delay or cancellation, families will be contacted by phone and/or email using our mass notification system. Please ensure that your contact information is up-to-date at your student’s school.
You may find school delay/cancellation announcements on local television (KIRO 7, KOMO 4, KING 5, KCPQ 13) and radio stations (FM: 106.1, 105.3, 89.9, 97.3, 97.7, 101.5 or AM: 1000, 1330, 630) or by calling our information line at 206.393.6111 or online at: www.shorelineschools.org, www.facebook.com/shorelineschools, or www.twitter.com/shorelinek12.
THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS MAY BE USED FOR EMERGENCY CONDITIONS:
1. SHORELINE SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED
- All schools will be closed for the day. All meetings, field trips, after-school activities, etc. will be cancelled for the day.
2. SHORELINE SCHOOLS OPEN - 2 HOURS LATE - BUSES OPERATING ON REGULAR or SNOW ROUTES
- All zero period secondary classes will be cancelled.
- K-12 Classes and Head Start will begin 2 HOURS LATE.
- AM Early Childhood Program, AM STEP Preschool, and out-of-district transportation will be CANCELLED.
- AM and PM Fixed Preschool, PM STEP Preschool and PM Early Childhood will begin at REGULAR TIMES.
- When schools open 2 hours late, the Shoreline Children’s Center and Extended Day sites will open 2 hours late as well (8:30 AM instead of 6:30 AM). Flexible classrooms will open at 8:30 AM. Fixed Preschools will begin at 9:00 AM.
If it becomes necessary to close a school during the school day and send students home early, our mass notification system will be used to contact families by phone and/or email. A message will also be placed on the District homepage and social media accounts. Because a parent/guardian may not be at home if there is an emergency dismissal, they must make plans for an alternate place (neighbor/relative) for their child to go. Families should keep their emergency contacts up-to-date and discuss this alternate plan with their children so they know what to do in case of an emergency closure of schools. There will be no SPS after school daycare.
- If someone other than the parent will be picking up the child, parents should have already provided the school with the names of the individuals who are authorized to pick up the child. Unless an approved person picks up the child, the child will remain at school until the announced dismissal time.
- It may be necessary in some situations to close schools early and hold students at school until a parent (or authorized person) comes to the school to pick them up. In this case, there will be an announcement that students are being held at school and will not be sent home.
HOLIDAY SUPPORT FOR SYRE FAMILIES
Able to help a Syre family in need of assistance for the holidays? Below is a link that was shared in today’s Syre Happenings email sent home. Thank you in advance for any support you may be able to give. We are blessed to live/work in a community that helps one another.
BROWN BEAR CAR WASH TICKETS
Many thanks again for supporting 5th and 6th grade camp/outdoor education! The car wash tickets have been a HUGE success. We have 30 tickets left if you would like to purchase one or more. Cost is $9 and $7.50 goes directly toward reducing the cost of camp.
DISMISSAL FEEDBACK REQUESTED
This year, we tried new dismissal procedures in an attempt for more supervision and safety after school. Over the two weeks, we will be meeting as a staff to discuss our procedures and attempting to make improvements. This will include how we dismiss walkers, bus riders, and after school activities/childcare students. If you have any feedback, please send my way! We are considering several options and your experience and feedback will help us to be better at our dismissal procedures. Thank you!