Welcome to the Shorecrest Girls Tennis Website
District Champions 2012, 2013, 2018
State 4th place 2018
Robert Mann Varsity Coach Email at : firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Fischer JV Coach Email at: email@example.com
Get your atheltic packets submitted to Alan Bruns as soon as possible. Please submit on Friday 2/15 if school is in session. Otherwise, submit before 2p on Monday 2/25. He needs to approve your packet before you can practice. He will not be able to approve packets after 2p on Monday.
2019 Try-Out Schedule Key Dates and Important Information
MANDATORY PARENT PRE-SEASON MEETING 2/27 6:30p-7:00p SC CommonsTryouts (If weather is good.)2/25 3:15p-5:15p Kellogg MS (All)2/26 3:15p-4:30p Kellogg MS (Newbies/ Some JV Returners)4:15p-6:00p Kellogg MS (Varsity Returners+)2/27 3:15p-4:30p Kellogg MS (Newbies/Some JV Returners) 4:15p-6:00P Kellogg MS (Varsity Returners +)2/28 Varsity 3:00p-5:00p at Kellogg MS and JV 3:00p-5:00p at Shoreline Center2/29 Varsity 3:00p-5:00p at Kellogg MS and JV 3:00p-5:00p at Shoreline Center** Please note that the locations have changed for the first two weeks since contractor will not start work at Kellogg until March 11th. Starting March 11th, Varsity will practice at Shoreview Park and JV will continue to practice at Shoreline Park. See below for practice times.(If weather is bad.)2/25 3:00p - 5:00p SC Gym (All)2/26 3:00p - 4:30p SC Gym (All)2/27 3:45p - 5:15p SC Gym (All)2/28 3:00p - 4:30p SC Gym (All)3/1 3:00p - 4:30p SC Gym (All)
What to do before tryouts:
- All paperwork (Athletic Permission Form, Current Physical, Yellow Emergency Information card) must be turned in to Mr. Bruns before you may participate in any practices. If you're not sure about the status of your physical, please see Mr. Bruns. You must complete a packet even if you played another sport. Please turn in paperwork prior to mid-winter break.
- You are not eligible to tryout until Mr. Bruns has approved the packet. Coaches DO NOT accept packets.
- Conditioning (Download the 7-minute workout app. You should be able to do 2 cycles in row.)
- Visit the tennis website resources page.
- Find a time and place to hit as often as possible. Talk to team captain Anna Burke, Sophie Ivens, or Bella Saunders about possible times to practice prior to the beginning of the season.
- Contact Basha Tennis at Forest Crest Athletic Club, Harbor Square Athletic Club, or Columbia Athletic club to enroll in tennis classes.
- Learn how to play a ten-point tiebreaker. (Instructions on tennis website.)
- Make sure that you have tennis shoes, adult racket (27” long), water bottle, and layered clothing with pockets.
- Update your racquet with new strings and new grip/overgrip. (I can get your racquet restrung for $10 if you provide the string. Around $20 if you don’t provide the string.)
- Learn the Code of Conduct. Listed on the tennis resources page.
- Do NOT bring Ipads or other valuables to the courts or leave them in the gym locker room.
What to expect at tryouts:
- Day 1 Large Group Games to get an overview of player skill sets AND Conditioning (Initial Cut for Varsity)
- Day 2 Serve and Return AND Conditioning
- Day 3 Volleys and Overheads AND 10-point tiebreakers AND Conditioning
- (Tryouts may be extended if there is inclement weather in the first 3 days.)
- The team has a no-cut policy this year for players who are committed to going to practice everyday and are willing to work hard everyday. Seniors can play on JV. Varsity will have 12-16 players. JV will carry the rest of the players. If we have too many players for JV, then the lower JV players will be split into two teams.
- Factors for determining who will make Varsity: Playing ability, history with the team, grade level, willingness to learn & improve, fitness, effort, attitude, teamwork, peer relations, leadership ability, character, dependability, commitment, academic record, discipline record, and school attendance.
- Varsity returners will be on varsity again unless told otherwise by the coach. The coach will tell everyone else by Wednesday what team each player will be playing.
- If you have outside obligations that will be in conflict with the tennis season, then please talk with the coach to see if it makes sense for you to tryout.
- JV players will be provided a one-way shuttle bus to Shoreview Park for tryout and Shoreline Park for practices. You are NOT required to take the bus if you have your own transportation.
Practice schedule after tryouts.
- Starting on 3/4. Varsity practice at Shoreview Park 3:15p-5:15p M, T, Th, F and 3:45p-5:30p W
- Starting 2/28. JV practice at Shoreline Park 3:00p-5:00p M, T, Th, F and 3:45p-5:30p W (players will be provided a one-way shuttle bus to Shoreline Center for practices. Players are NOT required to take the bus if they have their own transportation.)
- Saturday Practice at Shoreview Park for all JV-Practice 10:00a-12:00p, V-Practice 12:00p-2:00p.
- (Only on 3/2 and 3/9 if courts are playable. No Saturday practice if courts aren't playable.)
Requirements before 1st match:
- Paid $40 ASB Fee and $100 Athletic Fee
- Completed Safety Guidelines Form. (Available on team website.)
- Attended 10 practices.
- Read the tennis guidelines that are posted in the documents section of the website.
Schedule and Results Go to WESCO athletics website.
Please note due to inclement weather the schedule changes often.