HEADLINES AND FEATURES
New Principal Gloria Henderson
Read more about Britta Thomas...
The Back to School event provides school supplies, hair cuts and clothing assistance for students who are living with:
- a low income and/or
- experiencing circumstances in thier life that make it challenging for a family to prepare their children for going back to school.
August 26, 2017
Starting May 15
Many ways to register!
- Online at www.btsconsortium.org
- Mail in Registration Form
- Call 206.393.4916 BTS Info Line
*Leave a message and someone will return your call to register you.
- Contact the school Nurse or Family Advocate
Deadline for registration is August 18, 2017.
Click Here for more Information: http://www.btsconsortium.org/
Members of the Back to School Consortium: Center for Human Services City of Shoreline; Dale Turner Family YMCA; Hopelink: Ronald United Methodist Church; Shoreline Community Care; Shoreline School District; Turning Point; The Works of Shoreline PTA Council.
We are very excited for the first day of school on Wednesday, September 6 for grades 1-12 and Monday, September 11 for kindergarten.
Here is a link to the 2017-2018 school year calendar with all of the important dates to be aware of for this school year. You will receive a full wall calendar in the mail in mid-August.
We also want to take this opportunity to provide you with some advanced notice of changes to the 2018-2019 school year calendar.
Next school year, the first day of school will be on Wednesday, August 29, 2018. Please note that this is a change from past years, when we have begun after Labor Day. While there are pros and cons for starting before or after the holiday, we believe the pre-Labor Day start date better supports our educational mission by meeting the needs of students participating in advanced placement courses, athletics and/or student activities, such as cheer, flags, band, etc. that support the start of school.
Here is a link to an outline of the 2018-2019 school year calendar, listing the first and last days of school, breaks and holidays for next school year. Dates for conferences and non-student staff work days will be set and shared in the spring. We hope you find this information helpful as you plan for trips and childcare for the 2018-2019 school year.
We hope everyone has had an enjoyable summer and look forward to seeing you back for the first days of school on September 6 for grades 1-12 and September 11 for kindergarten.
We need an Abundance to make our library run smoothly!
The Highland Terrace Library is a wonderful, busy place with excellent resources for students, staff, and parents to share. Volunteers assist with shelving books, decorating library with bulletin boards and displays, sometimes help with routine circulation desk tasks, sometimes help students locate materials, and help with light cleaning. Thank you for your interest in helping our students in the library! Your active participation shows your children how much you value libraries, books, and reading -- a powerful message! HT Librarian, Mrs. Alicia Wilson
If you are interested in helping out this year, click on the link below:
Thank You Sandi!
Thank you Sandi Severtsen for the way you have helped to shape and support the families, students and staff at Highland Terrace Elementary School!!
PTA Positions Open for Next Year
We need your help! Want to get more involved in the PTA? You should join the board!
Do you want to help out occasionally or at one event? Great!
Please contact Lisa Cornell (firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn more about open positions.
Some openings include: Communications Lead, Arts Enrichment VP, and
Room Parent/Staff Appreciation Coordinator.
Cory Peterson, Michael Wellman, Terri Holmes, Leslie Boyd
Highland Terrace PTA Golden Apple and Golden Acorn Award
Educators of the Year:
The Golden Apple/Outstanding Educator award recognizes a teacher, assistant, custodian, bus driver or administrator who has contributed their time and talents to providing educational opportunities for students beyond the normal scope of their jobs. This year the teachers receiving this honor are Michael Wellman (5th grade) and Terri Holmes (Kindergarten).
Volunteers of the Year:
The Golden Acorn/Outstanding Volunteer award recognizes a volunteer who has contributed to our children and the community in an exceptional way. A Golden Acorn Award is very special and is given for continued and dedicated service. This year the volunteers receiving this honor are Cory Peterson and Lesslie Boyd.
Students in Ms. Holmes Kindergarten class showing Kindness. One student reads to another who needs a rest.
IMPORTANT DATES TO KNOW
Save the Dates for the 2017-2018 School Year
- September 5, 2017 - Highland Terrace Open House
- September 6, 2017 - First Day of School for Grades 1-6
- September 11, 2017 - First Day of School for Kindergarten
- October 9-12, 2017 at 11:45 - Early Release - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- October 13, 2017 - Non-Student Work Day
- November 9, 2017 - Non-Student Work Day
- November 10, 2017 - No School: Veterans' Day
- November 23-24, 2017 - Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 4, 2017 - Non-Student Work Day
- December 20, 2017 - January 2, 2018 - Winter Break
- January 15, 2018 - No School: MLK Day
- January 29, 2018 - Non-Student Work Day
- January 30 - February 3, 2018 - Scholastic Book Fair
- February 3, 2018 - Pancake Breakfast
- February 19-23, 2018 - Mid-Winter Break
- March 5, 2018 - Non-Student Work Day
- March 6-9, 2018 - Early Release - Parent/Teacher Conferences.
- April 6, 2018 - Non-Student Work Day
- April 16-20, 2018 - Spring Break
- May 21, 2018 - Non-Student Work Day
- May 28, 2018 - No School: Memorial Day
- June 8, 2018 - Non-Student Work Day
- June 22, 2018 - Last Day of School
September 6, 2017
September 11, 2017
October 12, 2017
October 13, 2017
November 7, 2017
November 9, 2017
November 10, 2017
November 22, 2017