School Closure, Late Start, Early Dismissal
SHORELINE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
PROCEDURES FOR EMERGENCY SCHEDULE CHANGES
In the event of a school delay or cancelation, families will be contacted by phone and/or email using our mass notification system, ParentSquare. Please ensure that your contact information is up to date at your student’s school.
THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS MAY BE USED FOR EMERGENCY CONDITIONS:
1. SHORELINE SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED
- All schools will be closed for the day. All meetings, field trips, after-school activities, etc. will be canceled for the day.
2. SHORELINE SCHOOLS OPEN - 2 HOURS LATE - BUSES OPERATING ON REGULAR or SNOW ROUTES
- All zero-period secondary classes will be canceled.
- K-12 classes will begin 2 HOURS LATE.
- Edwin Pratt will open at 9:30 am for morning half-day and full-day classes. Pm preschool classes will be on a normal schedule. Transportation is canceled for morning preschool. Morning preschool extended care is canceled.
- Elementary Extended Care sites will open at 9:00 am instead of 7:00 am
- Breakfast is not available at elementary schools. Breakfast service for secondary schools may be altered. Please see the Food and Nutrition Services webpage for more information.
Snow routes have been designed to avoid areas where hazardous road conditions exist.
When snow routes are in effect, they will be used on both the morning and afternoon routes even if roads have cleared. There may be occasions when schools start at the regular times but “snow routes” will be utilized.
If it becomes necessary to close a school during the school day and send students home early, our mass notification system will be used to contact families by phone and/or email. A message will also be placed on the District homepage and social media accounts. Because a parent/guardian may not be at home if there is an emergency dismissal, they must make plans for an alternate place (neighbor/relative) for their child to go. Families should keep their emergency contacts up-to-date and discuss this alternate plan with their children so they know what to do in case of an emergency closure of schools. There will be no district-operated after-school daycare.
If someone other than the parent/guardian on record will pick up the child, families should have already provided the school with the names of the individuals who are authorized to pick up the child. Unless an approved person picks up the child, the child will remain at school until the announced dismissal time.
It may be necessary in some situations to close schools early and hold students at school until a parent (or authorized person) comes to the school to pick them up. In this case, there will be an announcement that students are being held at school and will not be sent home.
Hazardous Weather Delays on Early Release Wednesdays:
In cases of a hazardous weather delay on a scheduled early release Wednesday, schools will release at their normal early release time.
If you need information from these pages in another language, please email email@example.com.