Apply to be a Shoreline School Board Director
The Shoreline School Board of Directors is welcoming interested community members to apply to be appointed to serve as school board directors in Director Districts 2 and 3. Directors for these two positions will be appointed through a selection process to include an application, an interview and a vote by current board members. The timeline for this process is as follows:
Being a school board director is an incredible way to serve the students, families, staff and community of the Shoreline School District. It does require a significant time commitment outside of meeting time to stay engaged with issues and the community, read board packets in preparation for meetings and attend professional development opportunities. These are unpaid positions but each board member may receive compensation of fifty dollars ($50.00) per day or portion thereof for attending board meetings and for performing other services on behalf of the school district, not to exceed four thousand eight hundred dollars ($4,800.00) per year.Resources which you may find helpful include:
- September 14: Applications available
- October 14 at 5:00 pm: Applications deadline
- October 24, 26, 28 and 29: Interviews with candidates selected for interviews
- November 2: School Board votes on candidates
- November 18-20: Selected candidates are encouraged to attend the Washington State School Directors Association (WSSDA) Conference. November 18 is New Board Member Boot Camp. The conference will be virtual and costs will be covered by the school district
- December 7: Selected school board directors are sworn in.
- A schedule of this year’s board meetings can be found here. Please note that additional meetings, study sessions and hearing are scheduled as needed.
- Serving on your Local School Board
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Washington State School Board Standards
- School Board and Superintendent Responsibilities
- Shoreline School Board Goals 2020-2021
- Shoreline School Board Webpage