2023 President's Volunteer Service Award
The award interval for the 2023 awards is from March 1, 2022 - February 28, 2023. To qualify, you must have completed at least 50 hours of service during this interval if you are under 16, and at least 100 hours if you are 16 or over. Please check the chart at the bottom of this page for award levels.
To apply for the award:
- fill out this form: 2023 SC President's Volunteer Service Award Application
- and turn in all of your service forms by February 10, 2023
Since the award interval is through February 28, it is possible to turn in hours you serve February 11 - 28, but please be in contact with Mr. Orallo if you intend to do so. Hours turned in at the end of February as part of an award recipient's package should only be for recent hours, not for hours served months before.
Awards Sponsored by the Gift of Giving Foundation
The Gift of Giving Foundation is a group of former Shorecrest parents who act as the sponsoring organization for Shorecrest, Shorewood, Kellogg, and Einstein. We are grateful for their sponsorship of the President's Volunteer Service Award program.
Awards in Prior Years
Each year, 50 - 100 Shorecrest students receive this award. These students: met the hour requirements below; were attentive to notices about the awards; took the initiative to fill out the required paperwork. Certificates are usually presented in June.
Service hours for the 2023 awards will be calculated on the calendar year March 1, 2022 - February 28, 2023. According to national award policies, service must be completed in this time period for the hours to count; hours completed over more than one year or prior to March 1, 2022 are not eligible.
If you are thinking of applying for the award, be sure you check your email regularly. Notices generally go out starting in January.
Turn in forms as you complete the service; forms turned in at the end of February should only be for recent service.
Please note that:
- Community service forms must be turned in and processed in order for your service to count for the award. Please respect the need for processing time. In general, turn in forms for the award by February 10. Only forms for service performed 2/11 - 2/28 should be turned in at the end of February.
- If you are in 9th grade and some of your hours were served before you started at Shorecrest in September, turn those forms in ON PAPER directly to the SC College & Career Center.
- Awards are not automatic; there is no alert in the system when a student accrues enough hours in the designated interval.
- Eligible students must fill out the award application and turn it in by the deadline.
- If students are not certain if they are eligible, they should turn in any community service forms and contact Mr. Orallo.
- Age groups for the awards are based on the student's age on the day the interval ends, on February 28, 2023.
- Eligible students will be recognized as circumstances allow. Watch your school email for details.
Procedure for Eligible Students
The list of eligible students is made up of those students who do all of the following:
- complete the required hours within the March 1 - February 28 time period;
- turn in forms documenting their service in a timely manner, preferably right after the service was performed;
- step up to state their eligibility;
- have their hours verified by Mrs. Stephens;
- complete the award paperwork.
Award Paperwork is essential
The application--usually a Google form you fill out online--is distributed through the Shorecrest College & Career Center. If this form is not filled out, your records will not be reviewed and you will not receive a service award. The application link will be posted by mid-January each year.
We suggest that students:
- track their own hours
- keep copies of forms submitted
- turn in forms as they complete service rather than saving them until the deadline.
Problems are rare, but since we process approximately 4000 forms a year, errors can occur. Planning ahead and keeping your own records is a way to be responsible and self-track your progress.
About the Awards
For more information about the President's Volunteer Service Award program, see the national site, www.presidentialserviceawards.gov
Volunteer hours must be earned within a 12-month period. For Shorewood and Shorecrest, the interval is from March 1 to February 28.
|11-15||Bronze||50 – 74||16 to 25||Bronze||100 – 174|
|11-15||Silver||75 – 99||16 to 25||Silver||175 – 249|
|11-15||Gold||100 +||16 to 25||Gold||250 +|