Overnight Field Trips
Do I need to complete another Permission to Administer Medication at School form if my student already has one on file in the health office for this year?
- YES! Those orders only cover the school day; we need 24-hour coverage for the trip. Please complete the Extended Field Trip Medication Form.
My student almost never needs their inhaler or allergy medication, do I need to bother with the paperwork?
- YES! They will be going to a different environment that may trigger allergic reactions or asthma.
Do I have to make a special trip to the doctor?
- It is the parent responsibility to get the physician signature for extended field trip medication forms.
What should I get doctor orders to send? Remember – even over the counter medications need a parent and physician signature.
- All prescription medication your student takes on a regular basis.
- If your student is prone to motion sickness, something like Dramamine may be helpful. Pain relief such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen may be helpful especially for young women who may get cramps on the trip. A change in environment sometimes upsets the system, an anti-diarrhea medication would be something to consider if your student has particular sensitivities.
- I would suggest not sending regular vitamins or herbal supplements for the trip as the short time they will be gone will probably not have a negative effect on their health if they miss a few doses.
How much medication should I send?
- Please only send enough medications for the number of days of the trip + three just in case they have flight concerns and are not home the day they plan.
How do I send the medications?
- If your student is going to self-administer, just have them pack their medications in their carry on luggage. MUST BE IN THEIR ORIGINAL BOTTLES (no baggies or weekly pill holders).
- If you are having a staff person carry and administer the medications please make arrangements to get those to the school a day or two before the trip. MUST BE IN THEIR ORIGINAL BOTTLES (no baggies or weekly pill holders).
- Please let the teacher/tour leader know if your student has been ill or injured in the last few weeks. Information helps us care for your student and keep them safe.
Forms may be downloaded by going to the Documents tab on the left