When Should My Child Stay Home?
To report an absence related to illness please call the attendance line @ 206-393-4378.
Contagious illness is always with us and can be spread in a variety of ways. We are trying to ensure that all of our students and staff stay as healthy as possible. Hand washing is the number one way to reduce spread of illness. We are reminding students to be diligent in washing their hands while at school. Getting enough sleep at night and good nutrition also play a role in staying healthy.
When your child is ill, he/she exposes other students and staff when he/she comes to school sick. If your child has any of the symptoms below, please keep him/her at home until the symptoms subside. These are the same guidelines that the school nurse uses to evaluate students who may need to go home:
- FEVER of at least 100 º F using a digital thermometer accompanied by one or more of the following:
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- Signs of irritability or confusion
- Sore throat
- Fatigue that limits participation in daily activities
- VOMITING: 2 or more occasions within the past 2 hours
- DIARRHEA: 3 or more watery stools within the past 24 hours or any bloody stool
- RASH (especially with fever or itching)
- EYE DISCHARGE OR CONJUNCTIVITIS (PINKEYE): until clear or until 24 hours of antibiotic treatment
- SICK APPEARANCE, NOT FEELING WELL, AND/OR NOT ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
- OPEN OR OOZING SORES, unless properly covered and 24 hours has passed since starting antibiotic treatment, if antibiotic treatment is necessary.
Students should be fever-free without fever reducing medication and no vomiting/diarrhea for 24 hours before returning to school.
It is not unusual for students to feel better in the morning and then worse as the day goes along. The school is not equipped for prolonged care of your sick child. We request that you or an emergency contact will pick up your sick child within the hour that you are called. It is important for the school to have a list of local emergency contacts that are available to pick up your child in the event that we are not able to reach you. Please notify the school if there are changes to your contacts.
We need everyone's cooperation, to be better able to provide a healthy learning environment for our students and staff members.