Kindergarten FAQs

  •  Frequently Asked Questions about Kindergarten for 2021-2022

     Is there a cost involved for Kindergarten?

     No, Kindergarten is free.  

     Where do I register for Kindergarten?

    You can register online or through your neighborhood school.  If you don’t know which elementary school is your neighborhood site, please email If you are applying to Cascade K-8 Community School, you still need to register at your neighborhood school as well as Cascade K-8 Community School. 

    What do I need to bring when I register my child?

    • Birth certificate, passport or USCIS document
    • Verification of residency such as a utility bill, lease agreement, mortgage statement
    • Emergency contact numbers, cell phone numbers, etc.
    • Phone number(s) for doctor

    Does it matter when I register my child?

    Registration for in-district students begins on Monday, February 8th and ends on Wednesday, March 31st. Registration is not on a first-come, first-served basis. All students registered by the close of business on March 31st will be put in a drawing on April 12th to fill Kindergarten spaces available at their neighborhood schools. Only in-district, neighborhood families will be placed in the drawing for the initial classroom placements. Incoming kindergarten students who have a sibling at their neighborhood school will be given priority placement (at their neighborhood school) if registered prior to the close of business on March 31st. Those registering after March 31st will be added to the waitlist as they register.

    How many Kindergarten classrooms will there be at each school?

    At this time, we do not know how many Kindergarten classes will be at each school. Students not drawn for a class will be put on a waitlist in the order their name was drawn. If a spot opens up at your neighborhood school, the next student on the waitlist will be called and moved into that spot. If we are unable to get you into your neighborhood school, the District will provide transportation to the designated school. For the 2021-22 school year, the primary overload host site for those Kindergarten students unable to attend their neighborhood school due to lack of space is TBD. The District’s intent is to return all Kindergarten students to their neighborhood school for grades 1-5.

     Is transportation provided for Kindergarten students?

    Eligibility for transportation is based on the distance from your home to the school.  If you live outside of the 1-mile walk area or in an area designated as a hazardous walk area by the district, your student will be eligible for bus transportation. Please visit our Transportation page on our district website for more information.

    What if I want my child to go to a different school in Shoreline?

    You need to register at your neighborhood school and complete a Resident Transfer form and submit it to the school in which you are requesting to transfer to. HOWEVER, resident transfers are only accepted on or after the first day of school and are considered after the fourth day count is recorded. If any of the schools are under 95% capacity, resident transfers will be considered with siblings of current resident transfers in that school having priority. Families are encouraged to secure enrollment in their resident school.

    The Resident Transfer form may be downloaded from the Shoreline School District website  (  If your resident transfer request is granted, you are required to transport your child to and from school. 

    What if I live outside of the Shoreline School District?

    Shoreline School District is not accepting any new non-resident students in grades K-5.

    What if I am a District employee and live outside of the Shoreline School District?

    The District shall enroll nonresident students who are the children of District employees at the school to which the employee is assigned or at a school forming the district's K-12 continuum, which includes the school to which the employee is assigned. (This practice meets state law and our negotiated agreements.)

    All children of District employees are guaranteed placement in one of Shoreline’s elementary schools. On the first business day, following March 31st, your child will either be assigned a school or placed on a waiting list.

    Is there before and after school care?

    There is limited before and after school care available at all school sites. Please check the Edwin Pratt Early Learning Center website for an announcement of the 2021-22 Extended Care registration dates and tuition. Or, you can email or call 206.393.4350.

    What if my child is not yet 5 years old by August 31?

    Children whose birthday falls between September 1 and October 31 may qualify for early entrance. Parents are responsible for having their child evaluated by a Washington licensed psychologist. For further information about the process, please contact Trinitee King at or 206.393.4365 after March 18th.

    When will we receive information from the school about the new school year?

    Most schools send a back-to-school letter towards the end of August, which includes a supply list.  Many schools also post the supply list on their website.

    When does the school office open in August?

    August 16, 2021.


    For any additional enrollment information, please contact your neighborhood school.