Hello Families of Room 5!I hope you were all able to stay safe and warm during the last couple weeks with all this snow and ice! I was glad to be able to spend some time with my family and make some good progress towards finishing the book I have been reading! I am so excited to get to see your children today and be able to catch up with them a little before mid-winter break!Just wanted to mention that report cards are being sent home today-if your child is absent today they will receive this and bring it home with them when they return to school. Please disregard the portion of my note where I mention sending back the signed envelopes-I was not aware that LFP did not do this for first semester grades. :)Also, our March conference form is now live at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k83TRj-FKrGLKLiCRELP4xi5oGgSE2emkPS9qLyIie8/edit?usp=sharing, so please schedule your 25 minute spring conference with me as soon as you are able! I will check in with families (via email and/or student mailbox notes) in the couple of weeks before conferences to schedule if I have not heard back from you by then.Hope you have a wonderful mid-winter break!Be well,Elizabeth Chamberlain
Families of Room 5,
We are now one whole month into the school year! October is a busy month for both students and families. With conferences happening the second full week of this month, we will have quite a few half days/early release days, which makes it even more important for students to be on top of their work while they are at school!
What we have been working on recently:
- Continuing to practice showing appropriate classroom/school behaviors (be safe, respectful, responsible, kind)
- Literacy: Small groups with Ms. Chamberlain at the teacher table focusing on reading just-right books, doing differentiated word study, and comprehension work
- Word study: Targeted instruction based on student assessment data, most working on digraphs and common long vowel patterns
- Comprehension skill: Identifying Story Elements (characters, setting(s), main events, problem/solution, etc.)
- Writing: Editing and revising our first personal narratives (on topic of own choosing)
- First grade: Topic 1 Understanding Addition
- Second grade: Topic 2 Addition Strategies
What we will be working on:
- Life Skills: Responsibility and Organization
- Sharing: 1 sharing time per month for each student (refer to schedule and sharing info. sent home with students in September)
- Literacy: Working on targeted skills for individual students (based on assessment data), word work, and comprehension strategies in leveled guided reading groups
- Word study: Differentiated for student needs. Most will be focusing on common long vowel patterns and blends, some will be focusing on irregular vowel patterns such as ew, aw, and r-controlled vowels ar, er, etc.
- Comprehension skill: Sequencing (putting events in order from first-last)
- Writing: Publishing personal narratives, then integrated writing lessons for Air and Weather
- First grade: Topic 3 Five and Ten Relationships, Topic 2: Understanding Subtraction
- Second grade: Topic 3 Subtraction Strategies, Topic 4: Working With Equal Groups
Important dates to remember:
- October 2nd: Picture Day
- October 9th, 11th, and 12th: Half days for conferences (students released at 11:45AM)
- October 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st: Early release Wednesdays (students released at 1:50PM)
As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Elizabeth Chamberlain email@example.com
Families of Room 5,
Our October student conference schedule is now live and accessible on Google at this link:
Please choose a timeslot and type in your child's full name (first and last) to lock in their conference time for the week of October 8th. The available conference days/times are Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 12:30-3:50 (last timeslot is 3:30-3:50), so please plan accordingly.
Yours in partnership,
Welcome to first/second grade!
Here is the message all families should have received in Skyward:Hello Families!I am so excited to have you in room 5 this year! Please join me tomorrow, Tuesday, August 28th at our Teacher Meet and Greet from 3-4PM. Remember to stay for our school BBQ from 4-6PM. If possible, please make sure to bring your school supplies with you. That way, we can get settled and be ready for our first day of school!See you tomorrow!Ms. Chamberlain
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 29th, 2018. I look forward to meeting you and your child!