6th Grade Team
We believe strongly in our mission to help our 6th graders (in their last year as Parkwood Panthers) be productive citizens and life-long learners. Everything becomes deeper and more complex in 6th grade - our academic curriculum is specifically developed so that the skills & knowledge highlighted across all subjects (math, literacy, social studies, science) build off one another. We help our students develop the important skills and habits of a lifelong learner, like communicating your thinking, defending your ideas with evidence, and working as a productive and empathetic team member. With this 6th grade experience, our Parkwood Panthers enter into the middle school transition well-prepared!
In sixth grade we follow the Common Core State Standards, however we have specifically targeted some skills that are more critical for math success for this year and the years beyond.
EnVision Math by Pearson is the main resource we use to implement our math curriculum. It is aligned with the Common Core State Standards.
Through collaborative team problem solving students will expand their understanding of mathematical concepts by learning to:
- Multiply and Divide fractions, decimals and whole numbers
- Read and Write algebra problems
- Solve Problems with ratio and rate
- Solve problems with area, surface area, and volume
- Summarize and Describe statistical data
In English Language Arts, we use Springboard as the main resource to support teaching the curriculum.
Students learn to:
- Analyze text to determine key ideas and details citing text evidence
- Analyze text to determine author’s point of view and to determine the meaning of unknown words and phrases
- Integrate multiple sources to increase understanding
There are multiple writing Common Core State Standards for sixth grade. While all of them are important, the standards below are absolutely critical to a Parkwood sixth grader’s writing success this year and beyond. Please help us support your child by ensuring they are experts in the standards below.
6th Grade Writing Essential Standards
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- Draw evidence from literary and informational text to support analysis, reflection, and research.
- Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
- Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, and information through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content.
- Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and well-structured event sequences.
In addition to the essential standards, we focus on building a community of writers where students share their ideas. We emphasize important aspects of great writing like organizing your ideas, using evidence to defend your thoughts, and revising for clarity.
Writing is also integrated throughout the day in all areas of the curriculum, especially in our science and social studies units.
- Great Body Shop
- Space Science
- Hazards on the Homefront
- Phases of the Moon
- Outdoor Education - Camp Seymour
- Ancient Civilizations
We have regular classroom community circles. These serve as a supportive and safe place for our students to share and build connections with each other.
We also use Second Steps curriculum, which includes a variety of lessons that help foster social and emotional learning. Some of the concepts include, compassion, empathy, friendship, kindness, self-control, community, and to be an individual who is aware of themselves and those around them.
Some important points of emphasis in 6th grade are:
- Understanding the perspective of others
- Conflict resolution
- How to be an ally
- Communication styles