Creating a Resume
see below right for Cover Letter info
Why Have a Resume?
- To use to apply for a job.
- To use for a scholarship.
- To use when applying to college.
- To use for any kind of interview: informational, college admissions, employment.
- To complete your Senior Project.
Which Tools Help You Create a Resume?
There are many options, each with advantages and disadvantages.
Use the Shorewood Google templates
- In your student k12 account, go to https://docs.google.com/templates,
- Click on the Shoreline School District tab, and
- Look for Shorewood High School Resume Templates 1 and 2 in the Basics section. You will have to expand the Basics section in order for the templates to be visible.
OR, do any of the following options
- Follow the Resume Rubric and Sample that are used for the Shorewood/ Shoreline Schools Senior Project.
- Create a Google doc on your own.
- Use Word, Pages, or another tool/ free online template.
Do's for Creating a Resume
- Know that you have skills & experiences worth noting.
- Be brief.
- Be neat.
- Use a simple layout.
- Make your descriptions active.
- Proofread & seek feedback.
- Keep it updated & handy.
A resume will be required as part of your Senior Project. No matter what grade you are, we encourage you to use the Resume Rubric and Sample for guidance.
Don'ts for Creating a Resume
- Be fancy.
- Use more than two fonts/ styles.
- Use graphics or extra lines.
- Be wordy.
- Make things up.
- Go too far back in time.
Use the High School & Beyond Plan Resume Guide for Washington State guidelines for this element of the Senior Project.
The below guide from the Boston Mayor's Youth Council has excellent section-by-section advice, an extensive list of resume action words, and sample resumes.
Highlights in Teen Resume Guide
- good advice pages 1-6, especially section-by-section advice pages 3-6
- action words on page 7
- sample resumes on pages 8 and 9
- best samples: Jessica on page 8 and Tony on page 9
- not-so-good sample: Shaina on page 9
- please do not use extra fonts & lines as shown on that sample
On Your Resume
- Contact Information
- Skills and Strengths
Optional (customize as appropriate)
- Work Experience
- Volunteer Experience
- Extracurricular Activities
- Awards/ Certificates
- Skills/ Academic Achievement
- Music/ Artistic Achievement
- Athletic Achievement
- Additional Information