College Bound Scholarship

  • The College Bound Scholarship is a Washington State program that helps students afford college. Eligible students were signed up by their parent/ guardians in Middle School. Eligibility was determined based on income. 

    The basics of the College Bound Scholarship: 

    • Students (usually the parent or guardian) signed up for the scholarship in middle school.
    • College Bound is a Washington State program. 
    • The Scholarship can be used at more than 65 colleges in Washington State. 
    • The Scholarship covers the average cost of tuition, but not room & board. 
    • The FAFSA or WASFA (online financial aid forms) must be filled out in fall of senior year. 
    To remain eligible for the Scholarship, students pledge to: 
    1. graduate from a Washington State High School with at least a 2.0 GPA;
    2. stay out of trouble;
    3. enroll in an eligible college within one year of high school graduation. 

    For details on each of these and other elements of College Bound eligibility, see the materials in the library to the right. 

    In addition to the above criteria, you will still have to be income eligible, as determined by the college with information from the FAFSA or WASFA.
    Current Family Income Requirements
    The chart below is current as of October 2021. If a family's income has increased beyond what is below, the student will no longer be eligible for the scholarship. There may be other financial aid available, however, so definitely fill out the FAFSA or WASFA no matter what your income is currently. 
    College Bound Income Eligibility Chart
    Do I have to graduate with my high school class to receive College Bound?
    No. You may graduate earlier or later than your original high school class, but you must graduate—a GED does not qualify.
    Do I have to enroll in college right after I graduate from high school to receive the scholarship?

    No. However, you must enroll and earn college credit(s) no later than one academic year following high school graduation. For example, if you graduate in June 2022, you must start college within a year after graduation. You could take a gap semester or term, but plan to start college in the winter or spring after graduation. Be sure you meet all the college’s deadlines for class registration and financial aid to complete enrollment.

    Which Financial Aid application should I file?

    File the FAFSA if you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen as defined by the U.S. Department of Education. According to the U.S. Department of Education, the most common category of eligible non-citizen is that of permanent resident (someone with a “green card”), but there are other categories as well. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website at citizens.

    Some of our students file the WASFA due to citizenship or immigration status. Find more information at

    When do I need to file the FAFSA or WASFA?
    The FAFSA and WASFA will open October 1 every year. If you plan to attend college in the 2022-2023 academic year, you should complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA or WASFA as soon as possible after October 1, 2021 and should follow the specific financial aid deadlines of the college of your choice. This will ensure that you will receive maximum award you are eligible for. Your college may have additional forms they require for financial aid. 
    How much is the scholarship award?
    The College Bound Scholarship will combine with other state financial aid to cover tuition (at comparable public colleges), some fees, and a small book allowance. Thus, the specific amount will vary based on the college and the types of state financial aid that the student is eligible for. However, the College Bound Scholarship commitment is that the costs mentioned above will be covered. Additional financial aid for college expenses beyond tuition will likely be offered. This additional aid may be in the form of federal grants, work study, scholarships, and loans. Students will receive their scholarship through their college or university as part of their financial aid award.

    Additional Scholarships for College Bound Students

    A few colleges in Washington have additional scholarships that will cover even more of your costs than the College Bound Scholarship itself. The information below is current as of 10.2021. Students interested in the following scholarships should apply to the schools according to the application deadlines and can contact Mrs. Stephens for the contact information of the college representatives. 
    PLU 253 College Bound Full Tuition Scholarship  
    Pacific Lutheran University offers a scholarship for students who are College Bound eligible and have a 3.3 or higher weighted cumulative GPA. Students who qualify will be awarded full tuition for their four years at PLU through a combination of federal, state, PLU grants and scholarships, and the College Bound Scholarship. Plus, students will be eligible for a $1000/ year Supporting Success Scholarship and a $1500/ year Housing Grant. Apply to PLU and complete the FAFSA or WASFA to be considered. Be sure you list PLU in your FAFSA. 
    See:  PLU 253 College Bound Scholarships for full details. 
    Seattle Pacific Falcon Bound Full Tuition Scholarship  
    To be eligible for this full tuition scholarship (covered by federal, state, and SPU grant and scholarship aid), students must be eligible for the College Bound program and plan to enroll full-time. To be considered, apply to SPU and submit the FAFSA with SPU listed as one of your schools. 
    Whitworth Bound Promise  
    Incoming students who meet all requirements for College Bound will be considered for Whitworth Bound Promise, which covers 100 percent of Whitworth tuition (using federal, state and university funds). Admitted College Bound-eligible students who submit their FAFSAs to Whitworth and have a 3.25+ cumulative, weighted high school GPA will receive the Whitworth Bound Scholarship. If your GPA is close, note that it is weighted and you might make the mark when they weight your GPA. See Whitworth Bound Scholarship for details. Whitworth also offers talent scholarships for Music, Theater, Art, and a few other areas. 
    Seattle U Bound Scholarship
    Qualifying students may receive: Full tuition for four years, covered by federal, state, and Seattle University grants and scholarships--combined with the College Bound scholarship; additional financial aid opportunities (work study, student loans) to help cover remaining expenses such as books, room and board. To receive the scholarship, incoming first-year students must fulfill the following:  meet College Bound requirements; have a 3.5+ cumulative unweighted high school GPA; apply to SU by the 1/15 Regular Decision deadline in senior year; file the FAFSA by 2/1; maintain academic progress.
    See Seattle U Bound Scholarship for details. 

    College Bound Website:

If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.