SHOREWOOD FOOTBALL CAPTAIN JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: TEAM CAPTAIN
Start/End Dates: start of spring football – end of season
Reports to: Head Coach
Position Purpose/Summary: Be a strong leader by example (one of the hardest workers on the team, displaying a high level of commitment, focus, intensity, passion, and effort) and strong vocal leader with good communication skills (one who will encourage, support, and positively hold all teammates accountable).
The primary purpose of the TEAM CAPTAIN will be to positively influence teammates on-and-off the field, at all extracurricular school and non-school activities, and in the local community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The TEAM CAPTAIN will be expected to:
• Be on time to all team practices and team functions (at least 5-10 minutes early),
• Promote a positive attitude and positive team interactions - every day,
• Be a positive role model concerning commitment, intensity, confidence, response to mistakes, composure, hustle, and a “team first” focus,
• Help settle team conflicts and be willing to confront and hold teammates accountable for their on-and-off field behaviors,
• Work closely with and be the “point-person” for the head coach,
• Encourage and support all teammates,
• Lead the team throughout the season (in good and bad times),
• Perform other related team duties (as needed or requested by the coaching staff).
The TEAM CAPTAIN will be asked to perform his/her roles at all times. This includes situations when the team is not performing well, in the midst of a bad practice, when teammates are struggling to get along, and when coaches and/ or teammates are negative in what they say and how they interact with one another.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The TEAM CAPTAIN will be asked to:
• Be the hardest worker on the team (be the most committed/compelled),
• Model mental toughness by remaining confident and focused . . . and by responding to individual and team setbacks/mistakes in an appropriate manner,
• Develop strong interpersonal and team relations (friendships),
• Provide energy and passion,
• Compliment and support teammates,
• Challenge teammates to get better and work harder,
• Confront teammates’ negative attitudes, complaining, gossip, and lack of effort,
• Refocus teammates when distracted,
• Make good decisions (on-and-off the field),
• Check in with the head coach.
ABILITIES AND SKILLS NEEDED:
• Passion and enthusiasm,
• Energy and hard work,
• Commitment to be the BEST,
• Good verbal and nonverbal communication skills,
• Strong character (good decision-making),
• Confidence and mental toughness,
• Assertiveness (to do what is needed),
• Composure (to remain cool and calm under pressure).
A willingness to go “outside your comfort zone” and push your teammates (and yourself) to a higher level of play . . . every day!
NOMINATIONS FOR TEAM CAPTAIN
If you are confident that you can consistently fulfill the duties and responsibilities of TEAM CAPTAIN and have the desire, skills, and abilities to do so . . . submit a cover letter and athletic/leadership resume to Coach Torrey’s mailbox in the main office by April 29th.
There will be interviews during the month of May to help with the selection process