Transcript Request

  • For ALL students:

    An official transcript will be issued ONLY if the student has no outstanding district fines. Most colleges and other schools want a sealed official transcript. Information you need to provide us to complete your request includes:

    Student’s full name at time of enrollment
    Who is requesting this transcript and the relationship to the student
    Year of graduation and/or years attended (from …. to ….)
    Number of copies
    Where to send them or will the copies be picked up in person
    Contact information in case more information is needed (ie, your phone number, email address, etc.).

    Students currently attending Shorecrest, or who graduated (or who would have graduated) from Shorecrest within the last five years:
    You may order a transcript from the Shorecrest Counseling Office. Contact Jocelyn Hudson, Shorecrest Counseling Secretary, at (206) 393-4296, by email, or send a request to her at Shorecrest High School, 15343 – 25th Ave NE, Shoreline WA 98155. There is no fee for the transcript or for mailing a reasonable number of copies.

    Students who graduated (or who would have graduated) from Shorecrest over five years ago can request a transcript at

    Important Information:

    • All requests for student records/information will be submitted and paid for online using a credit or debit card, or Amazon payment.

    • You will receive emails from to notify you of the status of your order.  It is important you read those emails carefully as additional information may be required to process your request. 

    • Please allow 10 business days to process student records orders.