1. Use Naviance
Most of the listings have hyperlinks to the actual applications, which you will fill out yourself according to the guidelines of the particular scholarship. Some listings have applications you must download and fill out on paper.
- Log into Naviance select Student > Single sign on. Do not enter an email and password; you will go in via your Google k12 account.
- Click on the Colleges tab.
- Go to Scholarships and Money > Scholarship List > Local and Regional Scholarships
- Use the categories to make the list more manageable.
- If you are a senior, sort by Deadline for a list with the deadlines in chronological order then go to today's date and check the scholarships that are coming up soon. I recommend that you print out the list, and then as you work through the list, cross off the ones that you are not eligible for and put a star by the ones that you are eligible for. For the scholarships you do qualify for, follow the links or download the application as indicated.
- If you are in 9th-11th grade, use the filters to choose your grade. Look through the scholarships to see which you are eligible for. If you wish, print the list to help keep track.
- 9th-11th graders can also use the senior technique (sort by deadline) to create a strategy list for senior year.
2. Register for TheWashBoard.org
3. Know How Scholarship Sites Work
- How scholarship websites sell students' information to colleges and publishers, an article on the Hechinger Report 3.10.2017. Basically, you make a trade while using the sites: your information is valuable to them, so you give them that--which they sell--and you get matched with possible scholarships.
- Applying for Scholarships: Do You Know What Happens to Your Information? Road2College 8.17.20. Describes typical practices and offers tips for keeping your data private.
4. Use the WSU Search Tool (not only for WSU-specific scholarships!)
5. Look According to Identity or Specialized Interest
6. Investigate WUE/ Western Undergraduate Exchange
7. Try GoingMerry
- The MALDEF Scholarship Resource Guide is a long list of scholarships arranged by month they are due along with good advice.
- Scholarships Open to Undocumented Students an excellent list of scholarships by deadline and a links to other resources.
9. Check for College-Offered Scholarships
- For Shoreline Community College, read this informational sheet Scholarships at Shoreline and see www.shoreline.edu/foundation/scholarships.
- Washington State University has a Scholarship Application that all seniors applying to WSU should fill out.
- Seattle University, like most private universities, has several generous Seattle U Scholarships and has a reputation for being generous with aid.
- Gonzaga University has generous Scholarship Opportunities.
Scholarship & Financial Aid Links
Please see #3 above
www.studentaid.ed.gov – free information about ALL types of financial aid for college. This is the official Federal site that administers the FAFSA and Federal Student Loan Program.
www.wue.wiche.edu Western Undergraduate Exchange Savings Finder. Some public colleges in other western state offer reduced out of state tuition awards to qualified students.
www.thewashboard.org Washington State Scholarship search engine. Has many regional scholarships and does not sell student information.
www.road2college.com - site for reliable information about paying for college. The site & Facebook group often have free events and resources.
www.collegeboard.com Big Future section has information on scholarships and financial aid terminology.
www.sbctc.edu/payingforcollege Washington State Community & Technical Colleges information on Paying for College
www.hsf.net – Hispanic Scholarship Fund
www.collegesuccessfoundation.org/scholarships – scholarships for low-income students in Washington State
www.military.com Information on Educational Assistnce for dependents of members of the military
www.legion.org/needalift – American Legion Scholarships
www.iefa.org – International Education Financial Aid: Information on studying abroad
www.studentscholarships.org free to use database of scholarships