In early 2021, the paperwork for the 2021 awards will be posted here.
The award interval for the 2021 awards is from March 1, 2020 - February 28, 2021. We do not yet know if the global pandemic will affect the conditions of the awards, which are administered for us by a local nonprofit agency according to the guidelines of the national service award organization. We will announce any changes as we are informed about them.
Awards Sponsored by the Gift of Giving Foundation
The Gift of Giving Foundation is a group of former Shorecrest parents who act as the sponsoring organization for Shorecrest, Shorewood, Kellogg, and Einstein. We are grateful for their sponsorship of the President's Volunteer Service Award program.
Awards in Prior Years
In 2020, 56 Shorewood students were recognized. These students: met the hour requirements below; were attentive to notices about the awards; took the initiative to fill out the required paperwork. Certificates are usually presented in early June at a daytime assembly. In 2020, they will be mailed to students.
Service hours for the 2021 awards will be calculated on the calendar year March 1, 2020 - February 29, 2021. According to award policies, service must be completed in this time period for the hours to count; hours completed over more than one year or prior to March 1, 2020 are not eligible.
If you are thinking of applying for the award, be sure you check your email regularly. Notices go out starting in January.
Turn in forms as you complete the service; forms turned in at the end of February should only be for recent service.
Please note that:
- Community service forms must be turned in and processed in order for your service to count for the award. Please respect the need for processing time. In general, turn in forms for the award by February 12. Only forms for service performed 2/13 - 2/28 should be turned in at the end of February.
- The awards are not automatic; there is no alert in the system when a student accrues enough hours in the designated interval.
- Eligible students must fill out the award application (it will be posted on this page when available) and turn it in, preferably well in advance of the deadline, which will be March 2, 2021.
- If students are not certain if they are eligible, they should turn in any community service forms and see Mrs. Stephens in the Career Center.
- Age groups for the awards are based on the student's age on the day the interval ends, on February 28, 2021.
- Eligible students will be invited to the Career Center for a lunchtime event at the beginning of March. Watch your k12 email for details.
Procedure for Eligible Students
The list of eligible students is made up of those students who do all of the following:
- complete the required hours within the March 1 - February 28 time period;
- turn in forms documenting their service in a timely manner, preferably right after the service was performed;
- step up to state their eligibility;
- have their hours verified by Mrs. Stephens;
- complete the award paperwork.
Award Paperwork is essential
The application is provided by the Gift of Giving Foundation and is available through the Shorewood Career Center. If this paperwork is not filled out, your records will not be reviewed and you will not receive a service award. The application will be posted by mid-January each year.
We suggest that students:
- track their own hours
- keep copies of forms submitted
- turn in forms as they complete service rather than saving them until the deadline.
Problems are rare, but since we process approximately 4000 forms a year, errors can occur. Planning ahead and keeping your own records is a way to be responsible and self-track your progress.
About the Awards
For more information about the President's Volunteer Service Award program, see the national site, www.presidentialserviceawards.gov
Volunteer hours must be earned within a 12-month period. For Shorewood and Shorecrest, the interval is from March 1 to February 28.
|11-15||Bronze||50 – 74||16 to 25||Bronze||100 – 174|
|11-15||Silver||75 – 99||16 to 25||Silver||175 – 249|
|11-15||Gold||100 +||16 to 25||Gold||250 +|