CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- Mar. 1 - Book-It Assembly 9:30 am
- Mar. 2 - Global Reading Challenge District Challenge 10am, Shoreline Center
- Mar. 2 - Read Across America Music Showcase featuring Mrs. Bickford’s, Shaw/Jorgensen’s and Stranka’s classes
2:45 assembly and 7pm evening performance
- Mar. 2 - Spirit Day - Dress like your favorite Dr. Seuss character
- Mar. 3 - 6th gr. Visit to Einstein 12:15 pm
- Mar. 6 - NO SCHOOL - Staff Training/Professional Development Day
- Mar. 7-10 - Parent Teacher Conferences - 11:45 Early Dismissal
- Mar 7-10 - ArtWise NW Art Camps
- Mar. 8 - Movin’ On 6th Gr. Parents’ Meeting 7pm
- Mar. 11 - Shoreline Math Olympiad Competition - 9am
- Mar. 12 - Daylight Savings Time Starts
- Mar. 14 - PTA Family Engagement Night 7pm
- Mar. 16 - Honor Band Concert Assembly 1:30 pm
- Mar. 16 - Leprechaun Traps Family Engagement Night for BLS families 5pm
- Mar. 23 - Festival of Cultures - 6pm
- Mar. 23 - Multicultural Musical Showcase featuring 3rd gr. 2:45 Assembly and 7pm Evening Performance
- Mar. 27 - PTA Skate Night at Lynnwood Skate 6-8 pm
- April 3 - NO SCHOOL - Staff Work Day/Best Practices in Literacy Instruction
- April 6 - Comedy Night, ALL families invited (6th Gr. Fundraiser) 7pm
- April 13 - Volunteer Tea - 11:00 am
- April 17-21 NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
- April 27 - Guys & Kids Night 6pm
- April 29 - Embrace Syre Grounds Clean-Up
SYRE SCHOOL AND PTA NEWS
READ ACROSS AMERICA CELEBRATION
The National Education Association's Read Across America is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, the birthday of beloved children's author Dr. Seuss.
At Syre, we will be celebrating reading with a school wide challenge that will begin at an assembly on
March 2nd. Syre’s goal will be to reach 300,000 reading minutes for the month of March. Every student at Syre is asked to read approximately 560 minutes in the month (approx. 25 minutes a day/ 5 days a week). Your child will receive a reading log that will need to be turned in each Friday in March. Our hope is that your family will come together and support your child by spending time each week reading together. Reading independently or as a family can be recorded on the reading log. Prizes will be given out to the Top readers in the school.
We will kick off our event with a 2nd grade Musical Showcase Assembly and Spirit day on March 2nd in honor of Dr. Seuss. We will also begin collecting books to donate to children in need.
March 2nd- Dress like your favorite Dr. Seuss Character
2:45 Kick off Assembly and Showcase
Finally, on Fridays in March at 3:10 everyone in the school will Drop Everything and Read for 10 minutes together.
Come join us for this fun event!
We are excited to come together as a community and celebrate reading! Thank you for your support!
SYRE PTA PRESENTS: ARTWISE NW HALF-DAY ART CAMP
Students in grades one through six are invited to join the ArtWiseNW team's of talented art instructors for ART FUNdamentals!
When: Afternoons of Spring Conference week, Mar. 7, 8, 9, 10, from 11:45 until 3:30 pm. Student "artists" can participate for one, two, three, or all four dates.
Where: Syre Cafeteria
Registration: To participate, first register ONLINE with ArtWiseNW, www.artwisenw.com
Then have your student bring a check written out to "Syre PTA," to the Syre office, or have them bring it to the first day of their session. Cost is $35 per child per day. There is no discount this session for attending all four days, or for registering early.
Scholarships available. Parents and grandparents can also volunteer during art camp, and receive a free day for one child for each day worked.
NOTE: No aftercare provided! Please pick up your child promptly at 3:30, or make other arrangements through the Y or Shoreline Children's Center.
SYRE SPRING CHESS CLUB
Spring session begins Thursday March 30. Classes will be held in the cafeteria from 8-9 am. K-6 graders eligible. Join fellow Syre students for lessons from Coaches Hope and Josh from Chess for Life, with plenty of tournament-style play.
- New players welcome, all levels encouraged!
- Session runs from March 30 to June 8 (no class on 4/20). 10 classes for $149. Scholarships available.
- Checks should be made out to “Syre PTA” and sent in to Syre front office, please.
- Contact Syre parent volunteer Ashlie Beach at email@example.com, or 508-740-2128 to sign up, or for more info.
We will be providing dinner for our fabulous teachers who will be staying late next Thursday to provide evening times for parent/teacher conferences. Please help us by bringing an item for the dinner or helping with set-up or clean-up. Items need to be brought to school by 4:30 on Thursday, March 9, or can be brought earlier and placed in the teachers lounge with a label indicating for teachers dinner on it. Thank you all in advance for helping provide this much deserved meal for our teachers!!
Sign up here:
FESTIVAL OF CULTURES - March 16 at 6:00pm
Join your Syre community and experience our cultural diversity Wednesday, March 16 from 6-8p! We’re going to celebrate through performances, traditions and international cuisine from our very own Syre families!
We are looking for people to:
- Decorate a Booth/Table with a cultural theme!
- Send family photo celebrating culture!
- Teach a craft, dance, game or song!
- Help with set up, during the event or clean up
Please contact Michele Chomos Peijs at MChomosPeijs@gmail.com
SNOW MAKE-UP DAY IS JUNE 12
There will be a school make-up day on Monday, June 12, 2017 to make-up for the snow day on February 6, 2017. Also a reminder to mark May 15 as a make-up day for our December snow day if you haven’t already. Please mark your calendars accordingly.
Shoreline Schools are required to have 175 school days with students in class. In each year’s school calendar, a number of no school days are designated to serve as make-up days in the event of school cancellations during the year. June 12, which was originally scheduled as a non-student staff workday, is now scheduled to be a regular school day.
HELP US COLLECT SUPPLIES FOR STEM NIGHT IN MAY!
Please send in your empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls. Please bring them into the office.
SYRE GOLDEN ACORN NOMINATIONS
Golden Acorn nomination forms were distributed in this week’s Kidmail. Please check your student(s) backpack, or pick one up in the main office.
This is our opportunity to acknowledge an outstanding educator, student advocate and an extraordinary parent volunteer. Please take the time to fill out these forms so that we can honor those who make our school such a special place for our children.
MOVIN’ ON MEETING
We're getting the ball rolling on planning the Moving On ceremony for our 6th graders who will be moving on to middle school next year, and our kick-off planning meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 8 at 7:00 p.m. 6th grade parents, please watch/check your email for details.
SHORELINE MATH OLYMPIAD- MARCH 11: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!
About 100 Syre Mathletes, 15 coaches, 28 chaperones, and 2 Coordinators will be participating in the Shoreline Math Olympiad on Saturday, March 11 at Shoreline Community College. They have been busy since October spending extra time with coaches practicing and sharpening their math skills. They will be competing with all of the Shoreline elementary and middle schools (4th-8th grade), and to run such a great event, they need volunteers to help. Please contact Lori Trull (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in volunteering on March 11 to do any of the following: Set up, Clean Up, Proctor, Test Monitor, Registration, Scorer, Concessions. Thank you for supporting our students!
SYRE NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Would you like to be on the committee to help recruit PTA members to open positions for next year? If so, let Lori Trull (email@example.com) know! We are looking for 3 people!
SYRE SCHOOL AND PTA NEWS
Do you love science and art?
It’s time to start getting ready for the Shoreline STEM Festival, which will take place on May 20, 2017 at Shoreline Community College, with a K-12 student science fair, hands-on STEM fun, robotics demonstrations, and STEM Career expo! Now is the time to start a project for the science fair with three categories to choose from: Science Investigation, Engineering Design and Invention and Computer Science Design and Invention. Need help deciding on a project? You’ll find guidelines and links to resources on our website. All entries will require a project proposal, and you can turn yours in now until April 14. Registration and entrance to the festival are all completely FREE!
Young artists - design our festival t-shirt! The deadline for design submissions is April 2, 2017.
Parents - we need volunteers to make the festival happen! Sign up on our website or email us to find out how you can help.